Manager, Biotransformation Discovery
Oxford Biotrans is a start-up company pioneering the commercialization of biocatalytic processes for the production of high value specialty chemicals. The company seeks to appoint a manager with industrial experience of developing biocatalytic processes, who will take a lead in the early-stage development of processes employing our patented P450 enzymes.
Based at our new facilities in the Oxford area and reporting initially to the CEO, the jobholder will have a keen interest to define and lead programmes of R&D that will target specific biotransformations. The work will involve hands-on screening of enzymes, evaluation of process options and development of processes to bench scale. The role will entail leadership of a small team of junior scientists (1-3 people) and require a close liaison with peers responsible for (i) design and expression of new mutant P450s and (ii) PR&D for transfer of bench-scale processes to pilot plant and beyond.
Typical for all start-up companies, there may be a variety of other tasks outside the main role specification that the jobholder may need to undertake at the request of the company to help move this early-stage business forward. For an outstanding performer there should be the opportunity to grow the role as the company develops.
• Scientist with qualification (PhD) in appropriate technical area, probably chemistry, and several years industrial experience in development of biocatalytic processes
• Experience in synthetic route development and screening of enzymes for biotransformation of organic substrates and in evaluation of process options for addressing specific challenges associated with enzymatic reactions.
• Some appreciation of further process scale-up would be seen as an advantage
• Experience with analytical techniques such as GC, HPLC, GC-MS, HPLC-MS is desirable, as is purification (e.g. by preparative chromatography) and characterisation (e.g. by NMR) of organic compounds.
• Experience of some or all of the following would be seen as an advantage:
• whole-cell as well as cell-free biotransformations
• prior experience with cytochrome P450
• prior experience of working in the flavour/fragrance industry
• Good project management/organizational skills and experience in managing/supervising junior scientists
• Ambitious and keen to develop/continue a career in industrial biotechnology
• Self-starter who can quickly take the initiative in problem solving
• Professional and confident, with the ability to work equally effectively as leader or team member
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English language)
• Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK
To discuss further, please forward a CV and covering letter to Katie Cook via firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxford Biotrans Limited is an Equal Opportunities employer that is happy to welcome applications for any applicant who fulfil the role requirements for this position.