Current open positions:
Graduate Bioprocessing Engineer – Downstream
Oxford Biotrans is a start-up company pioneering the commercialisation of biocatalytic processes for the production of high value speciality chemicals. The company seeks to appoint a graduate bioprocess engineer, based at our laboratory facilities in the Oxford area.
As a part of our fermentation team, the jobholder will be expected to contribute to the lab and plant work necessary to develop, optimise and scale up fermentation processes and particularly the associated downstream processing.
The work will involve hands-on evaluation of process options and development/optimisation of processes in the laboratory and transfer of lab-scale processes to pilot plant and beyond. As part of the fermentation team, the role will require a close liaison with others responsible for development and scale-up of the fermentation bioprocess. This role will probably also involve some travelling to research/manufacturing sites in the UK and overseas.
Typical for all start-up companies, there may be a variety of other tasks outside the main role specification that the jobholder may need to undertake at the request of the company to help move this early-stage business forward. For an outstanding performer there should be the opportunity to grow the role as the company develops.
- Engineer with qualification in appropriate technical area, probably (bio)chemical engineering or bioprocess engineering
- Some hands-on experience of some or all of the following, gained in an industrial environment, would be desirable:
- development of downstream processing of microbial biomass (especially E. coli) for recovery of recombinant proteins as cell-free extract
- transfer of such processes to plant scale
- DSP unit operations such as homogenization, flocculation, centrifugation and a range of filtration approaches
- Regulatory requirements for production of food-grade enzymes
- Good organisational skills
- Ambitious and keen to develop/continue a career in industrial biotechnology
- Self-starter who can quickly take the initiative in problem solving
- Professional and confident, with the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English language)
Oxford Biotrans Limited is an Equal Opportunities employer that is happy to welcome applications from any applicant who fulfil the role requirements for this position. To discuss further, please forward a CV and covering letter to Vicki Harper via firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies please.