Bioprocessing Engineer – downstream
Oxford Biotrans is a start-up company pioneering the commercialization of biocatalytic processes for the production of high value specialty chemicals. The company seeks to appoint an engineer, based at our laboratory facilities in the Oxford area, with several years hands-on experience of downstream process development for fermentation processes.
As a part of our fermentation team, the jobholder will take a lead in defining and conducting the lab and plant work necessary to develop, optimise and scale up the associated downstream processing.
The work will involve hands-on evaluation of process options and development/optimisation of processes in the laboratory and transfer of lab-scale processes to pilot plant and beyond. The role may entail supervision of junior scientists and will certainly require a close liaison with others within the team responsible for development and scale-up of the fermentation process. The role will require some travel to research/manufacturing sites in the UK and overseas.
Typical for all start-up companies, there may be a variety of other tasks outside the main role specification that the jobholder may need to undertake at the request of the company to help move this early-stage business forward. For an outstanding performer there should be the opportunity to shape the role as the company develops.
- Engineer with qualification in appropriate technical area, probably (bio)chemical engineering or bioprocess engineering
- Essential to have several years hands-on industrial experience in development of downstream processing of microbial biomass for recovery of recombinant proteins as cell-free extract and transfer of these processes to plant scale
- Hands-on experience with DSP unit operations such as homogenization, flocculation, centrifugation and a range of filtration approaches as plant scale
- Experience of some or all of the following would also be seen as an advantage:
- DSP for recovery of recombinant proteins from a variety of microorganisms
- Regulatory requirements for production of food-grade enzymes
- Good organizational skills
- Ambitious and keen to develop/continue a career in industrial biotechnology
- Self-starter who can quickly take the initiative in problem solving
- Professional and confident, with the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English language)
Oxford Biotrans Limited is an Equal Opportunities employer that is happy to welcome applications for any applicant who fulfil the role requirements for this position. No agencies, thank you.
To discuss further, please forward a CV and covering letter to Katie Cook via email@example.com